Sunday, April 13, 2008

CKC - St. Louis


I went to CKC last weekend in St. Louis and had a blast.  (I won't talk about the part where, in a desperate attempt to save a little $$, I stayed at a lower-end hotel than the Drury Inn that was the conference hotel, learning that in my hotel, where I was in a room on the third floor, there was no elevator!  Needless to say, all my heavy scrapping supplies were stored in my van for the weekend when I didn't need them.)

This was my second CKC trip, and as I try to explain to my family, it's the one getaway that I get for myself each year.  The kids don't quite get that, because Steve and I both travel a bit for work.  All they know is that we're gone, we come home, and we pull something out of our suitcase for them. 

I met a new friend who lives only about 45 minutes from me, perhaps less, and hopefully will get to crop together once in a while in town.  (Hi Mary!)  And of course, I took some great classes and did more than just a bit of shopping.  Honestly, I don't think I spent as much as I did last year.  I had a little birthday money to burn, and I burned through that pretty quickly, believe me!  

The Paper Element had a few classes taught by Jolene, and I picked "Looking Thru Clearly," which was a great home decor altered project.  Jolene's husband creates wood pieces for her designs, so they're really stable and durable.  This was a set of three frames in graduated sizes, using transparencies in the middle of the first two.  I still have to finish mine, so I'll post a picture of that when it's done.   (Check out their new 2008 paper lines here!  My favorite is Isadora.)

Scrapbooks N Stickers had another class this year with Junkitz products.  Can't say what it was, because it's a gift for someone!  But it made me kinda sad...  No more Junkitz...  Kind of makes me want to buy it all up like mad so that I won't ever run out!

Oh, and, I can't forget to mention Piggy Tales.  They've gone green with their new lines, and they're great!  I'm so happy to see the scrapbooking world begin to try to go green.  While I love this hobby, personally, I think we're pretty darn wasteful.  As consumers, we buy tons of paper that we can't ever use up, driving the manufacturers to make more and more...  Not exactly a green industry.  But, at least Piggy Tales is doing something.  The new lines are all printed on recycled paper with soy-based organic ink.  (And that Twinkle Twinkle Little Star line is darn cute!)  I spent enough to get a blue spruce seedling free, if that tells you anything.  



4 comments:

Martha said...

I'm glad you had a great time at CK Ann! You SO deserve it!

Carol A. said...

Sounds like you had an awesome time Ann....hopefully next year you will have someone tagging along..LOL!

Gina said...

Sounds like you had a Great time at CKC! I hope to go to one this year, the one that I can make it too isn't until Nov. so it's going to be a long wait! ;)

jinxi~ aka angi said...

Hey, if you come down this April, let me know.. Im only a few miles from CKC !!! .. woot woot! I have 2 friends from MN coming as well. Lets have a party and keep you from having to stay in a dinky hotel!